When I was in grade 12, I missed four months to attend a day treatment program at the local hospital. I can’t decide if the worst thing was the meals we were forced to eat or the groups we were forced to sit through. My least favourite group was called Coping With Chaos because we had to role-play scenarios we faced outside of program.
According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, Chaos is defined as:
a state of utter confusion OR a confused mass or mixture
These days, I’m not sure where I stand with coping. I definitely know where the chaos lies though. Everyday feels chaotic but that’s probably an exaggeration. Being realistic and taking a step back, I know that things are tough right now because the semester is ending, finals are in 2 weeks, and I have so much to do. Not the forget the fact that I have a “planned” relapse in the works; or not….
Coping Strategies. They come in all types of themes. There are the strategies where you sit down and comfort yourself but there are also the coping strategies where you push out of the comfort zone and complete something. I guess it also depends on what you are coping with. Here are some coping strategies that I have tried to use in the past.
1. Log out of social media, put on your favourite playlist (currently) and have a 10-sec dance party to let go off stress.
2. Snuggle up under the covers with Netflix and a cup of hot chocolate/tea.
3. Set a timer and see how many sudoku puzzles can be completed in 20 min. (My current score: 15)
4. Take a shower.
5. Get outside and walk to the park for a bit.
6. Block all distraction websites and write 2 pages of an assignment.
7. Clean your room.
8. Edit photos.
10. Hold ice cubes in your hands.
You can find more resources here.